Stuffed animals sit near a housing duplex unit Nov. 19 on Fort Lee, Va., after an early morning fire claimed the life of Army Sgt. Corey Flowers, 24, and his daughter Kourtney Flowers, 2. Investigators say the fire began with unattended cooking. (Patrick Kane / The Progress-Index via AP)
- Filed Under
PETERSBURG, Va. Fort Lee Fire Chief Tom Bahr said an unattended frying pan and cooking oil caused a fire that killed a soldier and his young daughter.
The Army on Tuesday identified the victims as 24-year-old Sgt. Corey Flowers and his 2-year-old daughter, Kourtney Flowers.
The fire was reported at 2:50 a.m. Monday in one unit of a duplex in the Madison Park subdivision on the post. Investigators determined that the fire began on the first floor in the kitchen.
Flowers' wife, Spc. Paulette Flowers, wasn't home at the time.
The fire remains under investigation.
Corey Flowers was a mortuary affairs specialist with the 54th Quartermaster Company. The Raeford, N.C., native had been stationed at Fort Lee since he joined the Army in 2006.
Join trending discussions in the military's #1 professional community. See what members like yourself have to say from across the DoD.