- Filed Under
Computer hackers earlier this month accessed the personal information of about 36,000 people who worked for, with or visited Army commands located at the former Fort Monmouth, an Army spokeswoman has confirmed.
Communications-Electronics Command spokeswoman Andricka Thomas said the breach "may have affected CECOM, C4ISR [Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance] and nongovernmental personnel as well as persons who may have visited Fort Monmouth."
The information included "a mix of full names, dates and places of birth, Social Security numbers, home addresses and salaries" that were stored in databases maintained by CECOM located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., Thomas said. She said that at a minimum, names and Social Security numbers were accessed.
CECOM and C4ISR were both housed at Monmouth prior to its closing in September 2011. They are now located at Aberdeen.
According to a Dec. 18 letter from CECOM's commanding general, Maj. Gen. Robert S. Ferrell, to those affected, the databases that were breached contained information gleaned from former Fort Monmouth visitor logs as well as CECOM Software Engineering Center personnel files.
Thomas said the breach was discovered Dec. 6, and the affected databases were taken offline immediately and have not been put back online.
Thomas declined to identify the specific databases "because of the ongoing investigation."
The Army is offering free credit monitoring services for a year to those affected by the breach, Thomas said.
The CECOM Chief Information Office is answering questions from those affected. Information can be obtained by calling 443-861-6571 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thomas said the incident's investigation is being led by the Army's Cyber Command. She said the breach was conducted by an "unknown source" for "unknown reasons."