- Filed Under
The 12th annual Army Best Warrior Competition has been postponed, officials announced Wednesday.
The event, which had been scheduled for Oct. 15-17, is postponed because of the ongoing government shutdown, according to an Army news release.
Sgt. Maj. of the Army Raymond Chandler said the competition has been postponed “until a yet-to-be-determined date” because of the current constraints on spending for temporary duty trips.
“I appreciate the continued commitment and flexibility of all agencies and commands involved in Best Warrior,” Chandler said in a message to the Army’s senior noncommissioned officers. “I’ve told many of you that this year’s competition will test our agile and adaptive warriors with a compressed timeline and a few surprises, so this date change adds yet another unexpected level of challenge.”
Twenty-four soldiers representing 12 major commands were supposed to report to Fort Lee, Va., Sunday and Monday for the competition.
Command Sgt. Maj. James Sims, of Combined Arms Support Command, was appointed by Chandler to oversee all preparations for this year’s competition. Sims said he was glad the government shutdown didn’t cancel the event, according to the Army news release.
“Every one of the competitors earned the right to make the trip to Best Warrior,” he said in a statement. “Over the past year they competed at company, battalion, brigade and major Army command levels to secure a spot in the competition.”
The Best Warrior Competition includes the Army physical fitness test, a written exam and a graded essay on general military topics, weapons qualification, a land navigation course, warrior tasks and battle drills, a mystery event, and a soldier and NCO selection board comprised of Chandler and six senior command sergeants major from across the Army.
This year’s event had already been shortened in light of budget cuts, officials said.
For more information, visit the Best Warrior website.