Your Army

Army identifies crew involved in deadly helicopter crash

The Army on Tuesday evening released the names of the aviators involved in a deadly helicopter crash in Maryland.

One crew member died and two others were injured when their UH-60 Black Hawk crashed during a routine training flight Monday afternoon.

The incident happened about 1:17 p.m. at the Breton Bay Golf Course in Leonardtown, Maryland.

Spc. Jeremy Darrell Tomlin, 22, a UH-60 crew chief, died at the scene of the crash, according to Army officials. Tomlin was pronounced dead by a St. Mary's County first responder.

Tomlin was a native of Chapel Hill, Tennessee.

The two soldiers injured in the crash are Chief Warrant Officer 2 Christopher Nicholas, a pilot, and Capt. Terikazu Onoda, C Company commander. 

As of Tuesday evening, both were listed in critical condition at the University of Maryland R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Maryland, according to the Army.

All three soldiers were assigned to the 12th Aviation Battalion at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. The unit is responsible for providing aviation support to the Army Military District of Washington, federal agencies and non-Defense Department agencies, and technical rescue support within the Washington, D.C., area.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with our soldiers, their families and friends," said Col. Amanda Azubuike, a spokeswoman for Joint Force Headquarters National Capital Region and the Army Military District of Washington. "Our top priority is the health of our soldiers and ensuring that their family members are provided the support they need." 

"The families of the service members request that we respect their privacy during this challenging time," she added.

At the time of the crash, three UH-60 Black Hawks were conducting routine training, Army officials said. Only one helicopter was involved. No one else was hurt, officials said.

The crash site was secured shortly after the incident, and the cause of the crash is under investigation. A team from the Army Combat Readiness Center at Fort Rucker, Alabama, is leading the investigation.

Anyone with photos or video of the incident is asked to upload their imagery to

. Select the non-Common Access Card user entry and make sure the files are smaller than 2 GB.

Recommended for you
Around The Web