Six brigades and one division headquarters are gearing up to head out on deployment later this year and in early 2019, according to Thursday releases from the Army.
Among them is the 2nd Security Force Assistance Brigade, which stood up at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, this year, though senior leaders had been tight-lipped about where it would deploy first.
“We will build upon the success of the 1st SFAB and allies as we partner with Resolute Support forces and Afghan National Security Forces to build long-term stability through credible and ready security forces,” Brig. Gen. Donn Hill, the brigade’s commander, said in a release. “Our partnered security forces' successes in the future will define our own.”
Meanwhile, several other units will take the next shift in heel-to-toe deployments to Europe, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq:
- 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division will deploy to Europe later this year, replacing 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.
- The 1st Infantry Division’s 1st Combat Aviation Brigade will deploy to Europe later this year, replacing the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade.
- The 1st Infantry Division Sustainment Brigade will deploy to Afghanistan later this year, replacing the 101st Airborne Division Sustainment Brigade.
- The 1st Cavalry Division headquarters will deploy to Afghanistan in early 2019, replacing the Army National Guard’s 40th Infantry Division headquarters.
- 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division will deploy to Kuwait in spring 2019, replacing the Mississippi National Guard’s 155th Armored Brigade Combat Team.
- 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division will deploy to Iraq later this year, replacing the 3rd Cavalry Regiment.
Meanwhile, the 1st SFAB has been in Afghanistan since February on a deployment scheduled to end next month. Its replacement would arrive early next year.
Meghann Myers is the Pentagon bureau chief at Military Times. She covers operations, policy, personnel, leadership and other issues affecting service members. Follow on Twitter @Meghann_MT