Live-fire training started the fire on Fort Carson that burned about 400 acres on post and about 2,900 acres off post, according to post officials.
The blaze ignited March 16 at the Colorado post while infantry and helicopter units were training for an upcoming deployment, officials said in a news release.
Despite the conditions, training continued because the soldiers were preparing to deploy overseas, officials said. The fire was extinguished by March 22.
Fort Carson uses precautionary measures to mitigate the risk of fires on ranges and training areas, including communicating the fire level throughout the post’s emergency services, command, support and training units, according to the release.
Fire department personnel are pre-staged during increased fire-danger periods, the release said.
“Our firefighters work year-round on mitigation efforts in our training areas,” Maj. Gen. Randy George, commanding general of the 4th Infantry Division, said in the release. “We have a lot of fire prevention measures that are constantly in place, and we alter our training when the fire risk is elevated. We were mitigating risk and altering training before the fire and will continue to do so as a result of the fire and what we have learned.”
To make a claim for personal injury, damage to or loss of property, contact the Fort Carson Claims Office at 719-526-1342.
Another fire broke out earlier in March, burning approximately 270 acres near Gate 5 and the Navajo Village housing area. No injuries were reported, and no structures were affected, but some soldiers had to evacuate the post.
Personnel from the Navajo Village housing area, the Warrior Transition Battalion and the 10th Special Forces Group complex were evacuated, officials said at the time.
During the past year, Fort Carson had 233 days of medium to extreme fire danger. Of those, 26 days were identified as extreme fire danger days, the release said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.