navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square googleplus history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share share2 sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

Fort Bragg soldier's death under investigation

January 10, 2017 (Photo Credit: Army)
Civilian authorities are investigating the death of a paratrooper in his off-post home near Fort Bragg, North Carolina, according to an Army release.

Fayetteville police found the body of Pfc. Andrew Berg, a 27-year-old Michigan native, in the bathroom of his apartment Friday morning, Lt. Todd Joyce told Army Times on Tuesday.

His sergeant had gone to the home to check on Berg and called authorities when he didn't get an answer, Joyce said.

Berg was a combat medic with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 508th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne division, according to a release from 82nd Airborne spokesman Lt. Col. Joe Buccino.

"We mourn his loss and we express sincere gratitude to him and his family for his dedicated service to the 82nd Airborne Division and Falcon Brigade," said Lt. Col. Jeremy Mushtare, Berg's deputy brigade commander.

The paratrooper told his sergeant he was making a quick trip home to grab his cell phone charger on Thursday afternoon, Joyce said, but he never returned to his unit and didn't answer phone calls.

"His sergeant went over on Friday morning to try and check on him," Joyce said, and when he couldn't reach him, called the police.

Apartment complex staff were able to open the unit for a well-being check, he added. 

"There were no signs of trauma," Joyce said, but the body was sent to a medical examiner's lab in Raleigh for an autopsy and toxicology report.

Berg enlisted in August 2015 and had been with the 82nd since April. His awards included the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the Army Commendation Medal.

Next Article